Participation in interscholastic athletic programs by a student is a privilege, not a right. Students who participate are required to meet the requirements established in state law, FHSAA regulations, Seminole County Public Schools and Oviedo High School.
FHSAA Student-Athlete Eligibility
To play sports at Oviedo High School:
- The student-athlete must be currently enrolled at Oviedo High School or have submitted the correct paperwork as a home-schooled student (EL7) or non-FHSAA member private school student (EL12/EL14) and approved for participation.
- The student-athlete must have a current FHSAA/SCPS Sports Physical (must be on an EL2 Form) on file with our Athletic Department. This form, along with additional documents, must be submitted to www.AthleticClearance.com. Upon submitting all paperwork, you will receive an email stating whether or not you have been cleared. If you are cleared to participate, the coach of the sport you elected to participate in is automatically notified of your clearance. A student-athlete is not eligible to participate in any athletic event, this includes any conditioning, workouts, practices, or games, until he or she has been cleared through www.AthleticClearance.com.
- Beginning in the 2022-23 school year, Seminole County Public Schools is requiring an Electrocardiogram (ECG) for all students prior to participating in any athletic activity. An ECG heart screening is only required one time in a child's high school career.
- The student-athlete must have a cumulative unweighted GPA of a 2.0 or higher at the conclusion of each semester to be academically eligible during the next semester.
- The student-athlete must be a US Citizen or have received clearance to participate as an International student by the Athletic Office. If you are an International student seeking Athletic Clearance, please visit the FHSAA website by clicking here for more information on required documents. Please submit all paperwork to the Oviedo High School Athletic Office as soon as possible as International student clearance sometimes requires additional time.
- The student-athlete must watch three NFHS videos each school year as mandated by the FHSAA. The videos can all be found on NFHSlearn.org. The courses include “Concussion in Sports,” “Heat Illness Prevention,” and “Sudden Cardiac Arrest.”
- The student-athlete must adhere to the SCPS Citizenship Standards for Participation in Extracurricular Activities.
Please note, athletic recruiting is a gross violation of the spirit and philosophy of educational athletics. Athletic recruiting is unethical and unsporting conduct, and is forbidden by FHSAA Bylaws. No student-athlete should ever be pressured, urged, or enticed by a school employee, athletic department staff member or representative of a school’s athletic interests to attend any school for the purpose of participating in interscholastic athletics. For more information on recruiting rules as set by the FHSAA, please click here.
For more information on FHSAA Eligibility & Compliance, click here.
Online Athletic Clearance System
The Oviedo High School Athletic Department has transitioned to an online clearance platform for athletic participation and will no longer be accepting any hard copy sports physical packets in the Athletic Office. All prospective student-athletes must create an account & submit all required documents on www.AthleticClearance.com. Please read through the instructions prior to starting the process. All necessary forms are available for download on our website or in your AthleticClearance.com account. Upon going through the clearance process, you will receive an email from the Athletic Department in regards to your athletic clearance status. If you receive a denial email, it will include what is missing from your file to update. You can also log back into your account to check your status. You are not permitted to participate until you receive an email stating that you have been cleared for athletic activity. This process will also eliminate white cards as the coaching staff will have access to cleared athlete lists and emergency information for student-athletes participating in their sport.
Download the Athletic Clearance Instructions.
Download the FHSAA/SCPS EL2 Physical Form with Cardiac Clearance.